2008/12/21 Ben Goertzel <b...@goertzel.org>:
> However, IMO the rhetoric associating it with "thinking machine building" is
> premature and borderline dishonest.  It's marketing rhetoric.  It's more
> like "interesting brain simulation research that could eventually play a
> role in some future thinking-machine-building project, whose nature remains
> largely unspecified."

Yes, which would sound less dramatic.  Some time ago there was a
similar borderline dishonest report that a mouse brain had been
simulated on a supercomputer.  This sounded exciting, but it just
turns out that they've been able to simulate a number of neuron-like
elements (the Izhikevich spiking model, I think) similar in quantity
to a mouse-sized brain within some tractable amount of time, which is
not quite as impressive.

This kind of research is eventually doomed to succeed, but at present
we still don't know in detail how even a mouse brain is organized,
beyond a fairly gross level of anatomy.  Some of the newer techniques,
such as genetic modification which gives each neuron a unique colour,
should be helpful in this regard.