Ed,
I wasn't trying to justify or promote a 'divide'. The two worlds must be better off in collaboration, surely? I merely point out that there are fundamental limits as to how computer science (CS) can inform/validate basic/physical science - (in an AGI context, brain science). Take the Baars/Franklin "IDA" project. Baars invents 'Global Workspace' = a metaphor of apparent brain operation. Franklin writes one. Afterwards, you're standing next to to it, wondering as to its performance. What part of its behaviour has any direct bearing on how a brain works? It predicts nothing neuroscience can poke a stick at. All you can say is that the computer is manipulating abstractions according to a model of brain material. At best you get to be quite right and prove nothing. If the beastie also underperforms then you have seeds for doubt that also prove nothing.

CS as 'science' has always had this problem. AGI merely inherits its implications in a particular context/speciality. There's nothing bad or good - merely justified limits as to how CS and AGI may interact via brain science.
----------------
I agree with your :

"/At the other end of things, physicists are increasingly viewing physical reality as a computation, and thus the science of computation (and communication which is a part of it), such as information theory, have begun to play an increasingly important role in the most basic of all sciences./"

I would advocate physical reality (all of it) as /literally /computation in the sense of information processing. Hold a pencil up in front of your face and take a look at it... realise that the universe is 'computing a pencil'. Take a look at the computer in front of you: the universe is 'computing a computer'. The universe is literally computing YOU, too. The computation is not 'about' a pencil, a computer, a human. The computation IS those things. In exactly this same sense I want the universe to 'compute' an AGI (inorganic general intelligence). To me, then, this is /not/ manipulating abstractions ('aboutnesses') - which is the sense meant by CS generally and what actually happens in reality in CS.

So despite some agreement as to words - it is in the details we are likely to differ. The information processing in the natural world is not that which is going on in a model of it. As Edelman said(1) "/A theory to account for a hurricane is not a hurricane/". In exactly this way a computational-algorithmic process "about" intelligence cannot a-priori be claimed to be the intelligence of that which was modelled. Or - put yet another way: That {THING behaves 'abstract- RULE-ly'} does not entail that {anything manipulated according to abstract-RULE will become THING}. The only perfect algorithmic (100% complete information content) description of a thing is the actual thing, which includes all 'information' at all hierarchical descriptive levels, simultaneously.
--------------------
I disagree with:

"But the brain is not part of an eternal verity. It is the result of the engineering of evolution. "

Unless I've missed something ... The natural evolutionary 'engineering' that has been going on has /not/ been the creation of a MODEL (aboutness) of things - the 'engineering' has evolved the construction of the /actual/ things. The two are not the same. The brain is indeed 'part of an eternal verity' - it is made of natural components operating in a fashion we attempt to model as 'laws of nature'. Those models, abstracted and shoehorned into a computer - are not the same as the original. To believe that they are is one of those Occam's Razor violations I pointed out before my xmas shopping spree (see previous-1 post).
-----------------------

Anyway, for these reasons, folks who use computer models to study human brains/consciousness will encounter some difficulty justifying, to the basic physical sciences, claims made as to the equivalence of the model and reality. That difficulty is fundamental and cannot be 'believed away'. At the same time it's not a show-stopper; merely something to be aware of as we go about our duties. This will remain an issue - the only real, certain, known example of a general intelligence is the human. The intelligence originates in the brain. AGI and brain science must be literally joined at the hip or the AGI enterprise is arguably scientifically impoverished wishful thinking. Which is pretty much what Ben said...although as usual I have used too many damned words!

I expect we'll just have to agree to disagree... but there you have it :-)

colin hales
(1) Edelman, G. (2003). Naturalizing consciousness: A theoretical framework. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 100(9), 5520--24.

Ed Porter wrote:

Colin,

From a quick read, the gist of what your are saying seems to be that AGI is just "engineering", i.e., the study of what man can make and the properties thereof, whereas "science" relates to the eternal verities of reality.

But the brain is not part of an eternal verity. It is the result of the engineering of evolution. At the other end of things, physicists are increasingly viewing physical reality as a computation, and thus the science of computation (and communication which is a part of it), such as information theory, have begun to play an increasingly important role in the most basic of all sciences.

And to the extent that the study of the human mind is a "science", then the study of the types of computation that are done in the mind is part of that science, and AGI is the study of many of the same functions.

So your post might explain the reason for a current cultural divide, but it does not really provide a justification for it. In addition, if you attend events at either MIT's brain study center or its AI center, you will find many of the people who are there are from the other of these two centers, and that there is a considerable degree of cross-fertilization there that I have heard people at such event describe the benefits of.

Ed Porter