Neat!!

I like your approach (internal bead physics for modeling of observed
phenomena) and see no reason why it couldn't be incorporated into
OpenCog, actually.

Also, it seems possible that the same bead physics software library
could be used both inside a CogDevWorld, and inside an AI's "internal
simulation world"

Ben

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 4:45 AM, Benjamin Johnston
<johns...@it.uts.edu.au> wrote:
> Hi Ben,
>
> I've been looking at the same problem from a different angle... rather than
> searching for simplified artificial worlds for an agent to live in, I've
> been searching for models of the world to be used directly for reasoning
> (i.e., the internal world for an agent situated in the real world).
>

> I'll be interested to see what you do with CogDevWorld, however you may be
> interested in some of the specifics of my approach:
>

> I take the approach that *everything* should be "beads". I model the world
> with 'beads' (that are point masses, and carry heat, color, etc), 'joins' to
> structure them together (and that can change under stress or heat) and
> 'surfaces' (convex hulls around small set of beads) that stop things from
> being permeable.
>
> Solid objects can be constructed from beads with rigid (but 'snap'-able)
> joins; flexible objects by beads with flexible joins; gases by weightless
> unjoined beads, and liquids/adhesives by 'local joins' that attract and
> repel their neighbours (to create incompressible liquids with surface
> tension).
>
> I like this approach because everything is uniform - not only does the same
> mechanism simulate liquids, solids and gases; but more importantly, new laws
> of physics can be added 'orthogonally' to the existing laws. The approach is
> flexible and open-ended.
>
> I haven't had the resources or time to explore the different laws of physics
> for such models, but it isn't hard to create realistic objects in simple
> environments. This approach is far more computationally expensive than, say,
> rigid-body physics of complete object models; but the locality of the
> computations means that it should scale very well. (In fact, the
> orthogonality of the laws of physics means that you could support many more
> physical laws than could be reasonable computed simultaneously, but only
> enable laws as they are relevant to particular problems - e.g., turning on
> laws of heat diffusion and state-of-matter changes only when the agent is
> interacting with, say, the fridge or fire).
>
> I outlined the basic principle in this paper:
> http://www.comirit.com/papers/commonsense07.pdf
> Since then, I've changed some of the details a bit (some were described in
> my AGI-08 paper), added convex hulls and experimented with more laws of
> physics; but the basic idea has stayed the same.
>
> -Ben

"This is no place to stop -- half way between ape and angel"
-- Benjamin Disraeli