Abram,

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 8:38 AM, Abram Demski <abramdem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> You didn't mention this, so I guess I will: larger animals do generally
> have larger brains, coming close to a fixed brain/body ratio. Smarter
> animals appear to be the ones with a higher brain/body ratio rather than
> simply a larger brain. This to me suggests that the amount of sensory
> information and muscle coordination necessary is the most important
> determiner of the amount of processing power needed. There could be other
> interpretations, however.

It is REALLY hard to compare the intelligence of various animals, because of
their innate behavior being overlaid. For example, based on ability to
follow instruction, cats must be REALLY stupid.

> It's also pretty important to say that brains are expensive to fuel. It's
> probably the case that other animals didn't get as smart as us because the
> additional food they could get per ounce brain was less than the additional
> food needed to support an ounce of brain. Humans were in a situation in
> which it was more. So, I don't think your argument from other animals
> supports your hypothesis terribly well.

Presuming for a moment that you are right, then there will be no
singularity! No, this is NOT a reductio ad absurdum "proof" either way. Why
no singularity?

If there really is a limit to the value of intelligence, then why should we
think that there will be anything special about super-intelligence? Perhaps
we have been deluding ourselves because we want to think that the reason we
aren't all rich is because we just aren't smart enough, when in reality some
entirely different phenomenon may be key? Have YOU observed that success in
life is highly correlated to intelligence?

> One way around your instability if it exists would be (similar to your
> hemisphere suggestion) split the network into a number of individuals which
> cooperate through very low-bandwidth connections.

While helping breadth of analysis, this would seem to absolutely limit
analysis depth to that of one individual.

This would be like an organization of humans working together. Hence,
> multiagent systems would have a higher stability limit.

Providing they don't get into a war of some sort.

> However, it is still the case that we hit a serious diminishing-returns
> scenario once we needed to start doing this (since the low-bandwidth
> connections convey so much less info, we need waaay more processing power
> for every IQ point or whatever).

I see more problems with analysis depth than with bandwidth limitations.

> And, once these organizations got really big, it's quite plausible that
> they'd have their own stability issues.

Yes.

Steve