Mike,

Alive vs. dead? As I've said before, there is no actual difference. It is
not a qualitative difference that makes something alive or dead. It is a
quantitative difference. They are both controlled by physics. I don't mean
the nice clean physics rules that we approximate things with, I mean the
real dynamics of matter. Neither moves any more regularly or irregularly
than the other. It is harder to define why something "alive" moves because
the mechanism is normally too complex. If you didn't realize, there are life
forms that don't really move, such as viruses. Viruses are controlled by the
liquid that contains them. Yet, viruses are arguably alive. Some plants or
algae don't really move either. They may just grow in some direction, which
is not quite the same as movement.

Likewise, your analogy of this to AGI fails. You think there is a
difference, but there is none. You may think a fractal is more AGI than a
simple, low noise black square, but that is not the case. It is completely
besides the point. I can easily add noise to my experiments. I can simulate
the noise of light, camera lenses, blurring, etc. But, why should I when,
even without noise, there is a clear unsolved AGI challenge. The explanatory
reasoning required to solve even zero noise problems is still required for
full complexity problems. If you can't solve it for 2 squares on a screen,
what makes you think you can solve it for real images? Your grasp of reality
regarding AGI is quite poor, in my opinion.

Your main claim is that the problems I am working on are not representative
or applicable to AGI. But, you fail to see that they really are. The
abductive reasoning required to solve these extremely simplified problems is
required for every other AGI problem as well. These problems might be
solvable using methods that don't apply to AGI. But, that's why it is
important to force oneself to solve them in such a way that it IS applicable
to AGI. It doesn't mean that you have to choose a problem that is so hard
you can't cheat. It's unnecessary to do that unless you can't control your
desire to cheat. I can. Developing in this way, such as an implementation of
explanatory based reasoning, is very much applicable to AGI.

Dave