On 30 June 2013 18:14, Fool <fool1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Agoran CFJs take days or weeks. In XX it was 24 hours, and people were
> online at different times. In some cases it seemed like people were cranking
> out these fairly long well-reasoned monologues out on the fly. I guess that
> comes with experience or something? I AM NOT WORTHY.

Having played for a few years, I still find some of the discussion
surrounding controversial CFJs intimidating. To be sure, playing nomic
is excellent training in this kind of logical-legal-philosophic
thinking. But do any more experienced players want to cite some source
of their knowledge? Surely Suber's "The Paradox of Self-Amendment" and
Hofstadter's "Metamagical Themas" would be at the top of such a list.
Lots of players have programming skills and I think that's another
excellent way to train the mind to think like a nomic player, although
more on the logical side than the legal one.

> There was some talk of legalism/logicism or idealism/pragmatism. Maybe
> relative to the group I'm very far off one end of these scales. I also
> expect the question of _objectives_ made a big difference. On the last turn,
> a fairly large coalition simply voted themselves joint winners. I'm curious
> _when_ did this coalition form? And generally, to what extent were people
> trying to win?

As soon as I realised that I was in the lead points-wise, I was
overcome with the need to maintain that lead; suddenly all other
considerations were unimportant. So yeah, I guess I was trying to win.
I suppose that's more of a psychological lesson than a legal one,
though. People like shiny prizes.

I think the old-timer's cabal was assembled quite early on, but
obviously they can tell you more about that.

> As to the ruleset itself: I don't think I have anything new to say about the
> technical issues. On the higher-level end, I don't care much for win by
> paradox. And maybe the biggest bug is majority rules. Maybe not so good when
> things get really competitive. To be sure, these are opinions I held before
> the game started, and likely are minority opinions.

Well, I don't particularly care about Win by Paradox (it depends if
the game ends when someone wins as to whether I would repeal it) and
I'm a fan of supermajorities, as is modern Agora.

Again, thanks for all your efforts.

-- Walker