The fact is, there is such a glut of paper that no one who is "playing"
the minigame is bothering to try to produce it.  It's not a barrier.

It is, as you say, a "stop and think" barrier.  That's a good thing.

And it's not a requirement to "play" given that no one is using the
paper to "play".  You get a couple action points (paper) a month.
More if you're an officer. Nothing to do with land, movement, bidding,
any of that.  That there's an elaborate minigame (that no one is using)
to get more paper doesn't have to affect that at all.