On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 17:40, Kerim Aydin via agora-discussion
<agora-discussion@agoranomic.org> wrote:

> >> Is this something that is currently being proposed, or no? I know
> >> there's something related to blots and stuff in the proposal pool
> >> currently, but I don't remember what it actually does. If not, I could
> >> probably add some form of that to the proposal.
> >
> > No, G. sketched an idea in the thread "Rule Violation Options" but it
> > hasn't been turned into a proposal yet. The idea is that actions
> > defined as "crimes" are rule violations but actions described as
> > "infractions" aren't, but still incur penalties.
>
> Wasn't there a longer proto before that, by someone else?  The final draft
> would have to include going through all current SHALLs and SHALL NOTs in
> the rules and classifying them, amending a lot of rules (I definitely
> wasn't leading the drafting on that!)
>
> -G.

I remember this topic being discussed, but I don't remember an actual
proto. So much has been going on lately that I'll readily believe
there was such a proto. Closest I could find was this by nch (May 27,
subject "Re: DIS: Back-Awarding of Silver Quills")

> Referee Cards were fun, and there's no reason they couldn't work with an asset
> system like the upcoming Sets (except for the confusion of names). You'd just
> make Green and Yellow payable with different amounts of Blot-B-Gones, and Red
> would probably not be payable at all.
>
> In fact, it may be a good idea to have two separate tiers of crimes anyway:
> small infractions that earn you some blots, and serious ones that come with a
> punishment you can't pay off. I think that'd reconcile the ideas of "justice
> as
> a game mechanic" and "justice as a way to deal with bad faith actors/actions."

and then later from you:

> Sure, that's why you divide things into felonies, misdemeanors, traffic
> fines, civil offenses, etc.  But you write that into the law so it's clear
> you don't use the same language for all of those. In a game sense, in this
> iterative social contract (where your "reputation" is part of the
> trade-off) it's good to be clear between "yeah that's part of playing the
> game, we'll give you a blot but we won't be mad" and "we're going to yell
> a lot, consider your victory tainted, and try to hit you with heavy
> penalties".  Just so we all get along better, you know?
>
> We don't have that right now - our "Class N" system is really incomplete
> and inconsistent.  Previously (when we had differential designations we
> didn't have any violations where we didn't say that it was either a Crime
> or Infraction (that is, every SHALL NOT was paired with whether it was a
> Crime or Infraction).  We'd have to go to every SHALL NOT in the rules and
> categorize it to set this up again.
>
> It's especially important if we want to give the Officers any duties that
> involve exploitable powers - want to be clear "we're giving you these
> powers and don't expect you to abuse them, or the subgame is ruined."
>
> -G.

- Falsifian