Digby

I see where you are coming from on this, but in fact
the sill is composed of those pairs of samples which
are independent of one another - or, at least, have
reached some background correlation. This is why the
sill makes a better estimate of the variance than the
conventional statistical measures, since it is based
on independent sampling.

Isobel
http://geoecosse.bizland.com/whatsnew.htm