The following code generates a

Looking at the underlying implementation of AddressFromURIString, the exception
derives from the use of to parse this string. Which in turn,
correctly throws an exception according to RFC 2396 (because URI hosts may not
contain underscore characters).

However, it is currently perfectly permissible to create an instance of using a DNS hostname (which may contain underscores).

So, at first blush, it would appear that we need something like
AddressFromDNSString (or similar)?

For myself, I’m hitting this problem whilst building Akka clusters using
docker-compose with the scale command. In this use case, I have to expect the
presence of underscores since Docker libnetworking defines Docker containers
based on DNS names.

Any help or advice here greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

To post to this group, send email to
Visit this group at
For more options, visit