Hi Dane and others on this list.

Sorry I've not contributed much to this thread for quite a while but personal circumstances have forced me to do other things.

Firstly, Dane, I'm delighted you have also got an 8n. As far as I know, that's 2 of us so far on this list!.

There is a significant difference however, wheras you seem to have a much better grasp than I, in what you are doing, probably based on more years of audio recording, I'm one of those guys who buy an H6 get it set up and press one button to get what I want through the X Y or Side clip on mics.

I understand that the 8n has capacity for doing stuff that would keep all of us engaged for many years, but all I'm looking for at this time is the ability to record a sterio track at the finest quality I can possibly achieve.

So I'm talking about a point and shoot high quality recorder.

More experienced members may be thinking of using combinations of line in and XLR and good luck to them, but for me, If I have been asked to record a quire , or a pub band, I can usually get very good results using my H6 with clicp on's.

I'm confident that I will be able to do the same with the 8n, though already accept that because of it's size and weight, it's unlikely that I will be able to tramp the streets of Glasgow, recording street bands and buskers. Therefor, I've already decided to keep my H6 for out of door podcasts and only use the 8n for studio or indoor, pub and table-top recording situations.

Not too bad a compromise giving the quality of the H6.

Along with my 8n I also purchased the adaptor, which would allow me to use both my X Y and Side angle clips, but it's not quite as easy as that. I had also to purchase a 15 foot XLR cable and as the adaptor weighs over 2 Lb's, the whole kit would come in at about 20 Lb's. Not too easy for portability.

I did buy the audio bag from Gear 4. The price was £89.00 but as I purchased a returned item, I got it for £60. Never-the-less, I find the bag too bulky for walking the streets and that's withought the adaptor, or taking into my consideration, just how I'm going to be able to manage my Guide dog!.

I'm going to make a rediculous statement here, buy stating that by far, the very best recordings of out of door podcasts, that I've ever made, was and still is, using, whait for it, a pair of BSM 9 binaural microphones going through an old Olympus DS 50!!! Strange but very true !

With respect to getting a grasp on the geography of the 8n, I think there has never been anyone to compair with Neil Ewars, so with that in mind, I've decided to pay my local bar-made some cash and instruct her to describe, through my DS50, the right, left, top and bottom as well as the front and rear sides. To assist her she will have all the paperwork that came with the 8n and if all goes well, I'll get her again, to venture through the menue system.

Just a number of some of the many thoughts and fantacies that are waiting out there for us to challenge.

So all the very best and be minded, I'm listening to every word you and other list members are making conserning this thread. and I'll pass onto the list any recordings the bar made may come up with.

Very best wishes for 2019 from Scotland with love.

Andy Logue.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dane Trethowan" <grtd...@internode.on.net>