On 17 Sep 2002, Jack O'Quin wrote:

> Is this a "Release-Critical" bug fix?
>
> If not, I think source- and binary-incompatible changes are highly
> inappropriate right now.  A "release candidate" is supposed to
> *stabilize* the interface and implementation.  Making an incompatible
> change between rc3 and rc4 looks like a big step backwards.
>
> If at all possible, let's postpone this cleanup until after ALSA 0.9.0
> is released.  Put the release in maintenance mode, then clean up these
> functions in the 1.0.0 development tree.  That will also be a good
> time to increment the library version number.

You're right, if we don't provide the possibility to build a compatible
library. If you don't like our changes, simply configure your library with
--with-compat-rc3 and your - not yet updated - applications will be happy.
Note that these binaries will use newer (0.9.0rc4) library without any
problems so the co-existence between older and newer applications is
assured. The binary compatibility is really important thing for us, so I
spend a few of days to create this compatibility layer.

I really regret to make this sort of modifications at the time, but:

- any later modifications will cause more changes for applications
  developers (the amount software around alsa-lib grows)
- the symbol versioning is really a good thing; the fact that the basic
  glibc 2.0 is build with this method is a good approved example to keep
  the binary compatibility with all applications build on top of this
  library, look for implementation of some functions there, the syntax
  slightly changed for many of them

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com