On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, [iso-8859-1] Chris Rankin wrote:

>  --- Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Wed,
> 18 Sep 2002, Chris Rankin wrote:
> > Note: If
> > SND_COMPATIBILITY_BUILD_RC3 is defined,
> > then applications need to fall back to 0.9.0rc3 API
> > as well.
>
> So maybe we could have a --with-compat-rc3 option for
> alsa-utils as well? Regardless of which alsa-lib I
> build, I always need to be able to build alsa-utils.
> And I doubt that wine and xine will get updated before
> -rc4 is released. (Unless there's a document somewhere
> explaining the relationship between the old and new
> API functions, in which case I could submit patches
> myself.)

It seems, that you're not understand the compatibility.

1) build library with --with-compat-rc3 and place it to some
   other directory
3) build library without --with-compat-rc3, place it to
   /usr/lib as usuall
4) build alsa-utils and newer applications
5) build older applications with compatible library compiled
   with --with-compat-rc3

Old and new software will co-exist without any problems. Perhaps, we
can have some good default place for rc3 compatible library and add an
autoconfiguration code to alsa.m4. My suggestion is to use /opt/alsa/rc3
directory for this job. Comments?

Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
ALSA Project  http://www.alsa-project.org
SuSE Linux    http://www.suse.com