At Mon, 03 Mar 2003 11:37:20 -0500,
Paul Davis wrote:

> >> so when does it allocate them?
> >
> >when the allocator function (snd_malloc_xxx) is called from the
> >driver.  so, it wouldn't work exactly like snd-hammerfall-mem, which
> >allocates by itself without call from the sound drivers.
> >snd-page-alloc module just "caches" the buffer after the module
> >unload/reload.
> >
> >but i don't think this would make so big difference, since the sound
> >drivers are loaded likely in the early stage, anyway.
>
> they aren't. that's the whole problem. on my old system (148MB of
> RAM), allowing fsck to run would prevent memory allocation. i don't
> know of any distribution that inserts modules that early. do you?

aha, but fsck runs even before snd-hammerfall-mem, doesn't it? (unless
you bulit it in kernel)  otherwise it's dangerous...

now i understood the necessity of the allocation way of
snd-hammerfall-mem.
we can merge the feature but it will be likely after 0.9.0, as long as
the old style works.  i'd like to concentrate on bug fixes now.

ciao,