Does anyone know what the situation is with ALSA and usb midi in?

I'm having trouble setting this up. I compiled and installed successfully (I
think) the midid (usb midi daemon from http://
www.informatik.uni-halle.de/~ladischc/usbmidid.html), plugged a USB MIDI
Compatible input device, followed instructions and the system log reported
that I could not find the correct driver.

According to the URL above, usb midi has been integrated into the ALSA
kernel, should I therefore download the latest ALSA, compile and install? If
so, which version?

I'm running

Michael J Martin
Evolution Electronics Ltd.