El Lun 19 Ago 2002 15:34, Michael Martin escribió:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded, compiled, installed the alsa drivers (0.9.0rc3)

You need alsa-lib and alsa-utils packages also.

> I did modprobe snd-cmipci
> I did modprobe usb-midi
> All successful.
>
> But then I did aconnect -i and I could only see my sound card's External
> MIDI interface, not the usb-midi interface.

usb-midi is the old OSS driver. If you want to use ALSA, try "modprobe
snd-usb-midi" instead.

You can use OSS programs with ALSA drivers, thanks to the OSS emulation
included in ALSA, but not vice versa; aconnect will only work with ALSA
drivers.

> Do I need to add any lines to my /etc/modules.conf to make usb midi work?

If you set your /etc/modules.conf properly, the alsasound script (installed in
/etc/rc.d/init.d by 'make install') will load your modules automatically
every time you boot, or by hand running that script anytime.

Quoting an early post in this list about modules.conf:
Really detailled instructions for almost every supported card are
at http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
for example this module snippet:

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd