From: Clemens Ladisch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 20 August 2002 09:10
To: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Cc: Michael Martin; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] ALSA USB MIDI Input

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > I see both usb-midi and usbmidi. Could this be because I've got the
daemon
> > installed as well?
>
> No, but you should uninstall it if you are going to use the driver instead
the
> daemon.

To uninstall the daemon, run "make uninstall" in the usbmidid-x.x.x
directory.
(I forgot to document this in the readme)

Both "usb-midi" and "usbmidi" are from messages from the OSS driver.
The daemon uses "usbmidid", the ALSA driver uses "snd-usb-midi".

> I suggest you to add these modules to the /etc/hotplug/blacklist file:
> # cat /etc/hotplug/blacklist
> audio
> usb-midi
> snd-usb-audio
> snd-usb-midi
>
> You can see that I include the ALSA modules here. This prevents hotplug
from
use
> the right /etc/modules.conf setup, and the alsasound script.

IMHO there's nothing wrong with loading the driver when the keyboard is
plugged in. I'd suggest to list only the OSS drivers in the blacklist file.

In theory, the kernel should be configured without the OSS drivers when
ALSA is used, but not everyone takes the trouble of recompiling the kernel.

HTH
Clemens