From: Clemens Ladisch [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 14 August 2002 16:20
To: Michael Martin
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Alsa-user] ALSA USB MIDI Input

Michael Martin wrote:
> I'm having trouble setting this up. I compiled and installed successfully
(I
> think) the midid (usb midi daemon from http://
> www.informatik.uni-halle.de/~ladischc/usbmidid.html), plugged a USB MIDI
> Compatible input device, followed instructions and the system log reported
> that I could not find the correct driver.

What is the exact error messsage?

The problem is probably that described in Pedro's mail.

If it says something like "device 123 is not claimed by any driver", this
is OK, because usbmidid is not a driver but a daemon, and is loaded after
that message has been printed.

> I compiled your usbmidid program and managed to install it fine, but I
still
> need to know simply how to monitor MIDI input like a sysex or midi monitor
> program that can connect to the usb driver and how it connects to the usb
> driver?

The usbmidid program creates ALSA sequencer ports. The alsa-lib package
contains a test program for this named "seq" in the alsa-lib/test/
directory. Use "./seq client" to show all clients (in most cases,
usbmidid is client number 128), and "./seq port 128" to show all ports
of that client. To monitor input events from port 0 on client 128, use
"./seq decoder 128.0". The output is very verbose, but you should be
able to see what's going on.

You could use any other program which supports the ALSA sequencer, but
there aren't (yet) many such programs, and from those, most use the API
from ALSA version 0.5.x, which is outdated. The current ALSA version is
0.9.x, and is not backwards compatible.

Most programs support the 'old' OSS API (RawMidi, the API used by the
current Linux kernel drivers). The daemon doesn't support the OSS API,
but ALSA can emulate it for its kernel drivers. Therefore, I'd suggest
to use ALSA's kernel driver instead.

> According to the URL above, usb midi has been integrated into the ALSA
> kernel, should I therefore download the latest ALSA, compile and install?
If
> so, which version?

The latest released version is 0.9.0rc2 (from the ALSA homepage).
This version does _not_ contain the USB MIDI driver, so you have to
get the latest version from CVS, see
<http://www.alsa-project.org/download.php3> (at the bottom).
There are scripts named "cvscompile" to compile the packages, see the
INSTALL files for details.

> Do you know where I can find more information about USB MIDI with ALSA and
> USB MIDI on Linux? We're trying to test our USB Keyboard Controllers
> (Evolution keyboards are really just MIDI Input Controller devices) in
> Linux, but there seems to be little information to go on.

(alsa-user readers: please don't read the next paragraph ;-)
There is an OSS driver from Nagano Daisuke at
<http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html>.
This is worth considering because it doesn't require installation of
the entire ALSA package, and, for the time being, an OSS driver may be
adequate for most users.

Some information about the ALSA driver can be found at
<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/doc-php/template.php3?module=usb-midi>
.
The section titled "Before you start" is only relevant for devices from
Midiman.
This page can be reached from the ALSA Soundcard Matrix at
<http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/>. Evolution keyboards aren't
yet listed there; yesterday, Patrick wrote:
| I'm collecting them for now until I or Dan get the energy to add
| them to the matrix.

I don't think we can expect normal users to be able to download the
latest code via CVS. It is probably better to wait until the next
release (candidate) is released as an easy-to-install package.

HTH
Clemens