I run Linux Mint on my personal computer.
There are two bootable partitions on the hard disk.
SDA2 boots Sylvia, the current version. NO SOUND HERE.
SDA4 boots Serena, an older version. Sound works fine here.

Looking for differences between the two systems I found this (differences
are in *BOLD*):

SDA2 Sylvia (NO SOUND)
    c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ sudo lspci -v > dummy.txt
    [sudo] password for c:
 *   lspci: Unable to load libkmod resources: error -12*

>From dummy.txt:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    DeviceName:  Onboard AUDIO
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller
    Flags: fast devsel, *IRQ 5*
    Memory at f7d00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) *[disabled]* [size=16K]
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: *Enable-* Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link

    c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ aplay --list-devices
*    aplay: device_list:268: no soundcards found...*

SDA4 Serena (YES SOUND)
    c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ sudo lspci -v > dummy.txt
    [sudo] password for c:

>From dummy.txt:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
    DeviceName:  Onboard AUDIO
    Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller
    Flags: *bus master, *fast devsel, *latency 0, IRQ 28*
*     Memory at f7d00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]*
    Capabilities: [60] MSI: *Enable+* Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
    Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
    Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel
    Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link
*     Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel*
*     Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel*

    c@c-HP-Compaq-Pro-4300-SFF-PC ~ $ aplay --list-devices
*    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices *****
*    card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: ALC221 Analog [ALC221 Analog]*
*      Subdevices: 0/1*
*      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0*