>100 gigabyte hard disk is less than $200

Where?  I'm not even aware of a 100G disk being sold.

>while the last check on high capacity tape drives turned up prices exceeding
>4 times that for maybe a quarter the capacity because advertised tape
>capacity is compressed capacity.

I think you're kinda missing the point about tape drives.  You see, the
tapes are *removable*.  You can keep buying new tapes and writing new
data onto them.

>Worse, tapes don't last, they have a three year shelf life if they are stored
>properly

Say *what*???  This is absurd.

>and the tape doesn't physically break when it winds around the spools...

?  The only tape medium with any kind of breakage issues of which I'm
aware is the TK50, where the hook would sometimes come off.  If someone
is trying to use a TK50 drive for backups today, they've got bigger
problems.

>Is it possible to configure Amanda to backup to a harddisk or Raid volume
>instead of a tape?

So, you only want to run backups for a couple of days, then forget about
the whole idea???

>My last search on tape drives suggested that a high capacity unit that can
>handle 40 gigs per tape is between $800 and $1000

Seems plausible - they've certain become a lot cheaper than they used to be.

>I could buy a lot of ATA hard drives for that kinda cash.

Oh.  ATA.  I thought you were talking about real disks.  So when you
fill up your cheap ATA disk after a few days, then what do you do?  Take
your machine down so you can spend another couple hundred bucks sticking
on a new one?