The current eWeek has an article which discusses this issue.
http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3668,a=28513,00.asp

...In fact, analysts at research company Gartner Dataquest, in San Jose,
Calif., project significant growth for new technologies that have the
potential to cut backup costs. Gartner estimates that technologies such
as Serial ATA hard disk drives will grow from a market of fewer than 5
million units this year to more than 280 million units in 2005, with
Serial ATA becoming the dominant disk drive connection in 2004. The
decreasing price of hard drives-vendors claim ATA drives will be able to
provide storage at less than 1.7 cents per megabyte-will play a major
role in this growth.

While ATA's potential to augment or even replace tape for backup is
great, products are just beginning to roll out. Vendors including
Seagate Technology LLC and Storage Technology Corp. are expected to
release drives later this year that are based on Version 2 of the Serial
ATA specification. The new version will allow these drives to operate at
rates of 1.5GB per second, nearly twice the speed of the current
Parallel ATA interface version, known as ATA 100.

At organizations such as Steamboat Springs, every penny saved on storage
makes a huge difference, which is why Morrison has already begun to
investigate ATA hard drive technology for backup.

Morrison has one RAID array from RAID Inc., in Methuen, Mass., that is
attached to his servers (which run Red Hat Inc.'s distribution of Linux)
via Adaptec Inc.'s SCSI adapters. Morrison's financial
applications-including the MySQL open-source database and a database
from Progress Software Corp.-are backed up on a rotating schedule every
night to external digital audiotape drives from Hewlett-Packard Co.

About 60GB of data is backed up each night, a process that takes as long
as 8 hours because of a slow network connection. While the tape drives
allow Morrison to throw more capacity at the backup process as needed,
the expense involved in managing the tape backup is one reason he's
looking at ATA technology as a potential replacement...

-Steve Follmer
"Hear me now, believe me later" -Hans and Franz