On Sun, Jun 30, 2002 at 01:14:43AM -0700, Anthony A. D. Talltree wrote:
> >100 gigabyte hard disk is less than $200
>
> Where?  I'm not even aware of a 100G disk being sold.

Seagate and IBM sell 120 GB ATA drives.  Street price is around $120-140.
Seagate also has a 180 GB SCSI/FC-AL disk in their catalog, which for the
moment is the largest single spindle on the market. Lists for $1800,
street price seems to be in the neigborhood of $1300.

> >Worse, tapes don't last, they have a three year shelf life if they are stored
> >properly
>
> Say *what*???  This is absurd.

Indeed.  DLTs claim a projected shelf life of 30 years, however shelf life
is really only a concern for archival storage (and after 30 years, finding
a drive and a system that will talk to it could be as much of a problem as
reading a tape that's degraded over time.  I hear the few working 7 tracks
left are in fairly high demand.).  For a daily backup medium, pass count
is much more important.

> >and the tape doesn't physically break when it winds around the spools...
>
> ?  The only tape medium with any kind of breakage issues of which I'm
> aware is the TK50, where the hook would sometimes come off.  If someone
> is trying to use a TK50 drive for backups today, they've got bigger
> problems.

Yeah, TK50s are, um, ancient.  However, DLTs use the same single reel and
hook and loop system as TK50s, so they can fail in the same way.
Forunately, the drives are far more reliable in that regard.  I've seen
only one broken DLT leader so far (knocks on wood).

--
Mike Delaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"...Microsoft follows standards.  In much the same manner that fish follow