On Fri, Apr 06, 2012 at 01:08:44 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> On lathe, no inetd.conf exists
> > (Obviously if you are using xinetd or whatever, check that instead.)
> But xinetd.d does and contains this amanda file:
> root@lathe:/etc# cat xinetd.d/amanda
> # default: on
> service amanda
> {
> #       only_from       = <Amanda server>
>         socket_type     = dgram
>         protocol        = udp
>         wait            = yes
>         user            = backup
>         group           = backup
>         groups          = yes
>         server          = /usr/lib/amanda/amandad
>         server_args     = -auth=bsdtcp amdump amindexd amidxtaped
>         disable         = no
> }
>
> That is a fresh amanda-common and amanda-client install

That's strange.  What does "apt-cache policy amanda-common" show?

On my Lucid boxes I have amanda-common 1:2.6.1p1-2 installed, and the
xinetd.d/amanda file that is installed is entirely set up for "bsd"
authentication (so both protocol=udp and server_args containing
"-auth-bsd ").

Anyway, hopefully making the change Jean-Louis mentioned will get you
going on this machine.

                                                        Nathan
Nathan Stratton Treadway  -  natha...@ontko.com  -  Mid-Atlantic region
Ray Ontko & Co.  -  Software consulting services  -   http://www.ontko.com/
 GPG Key: http://www.ontko.com/~nathanst/gpg_key.txt   ID: 1023D/ECFB6239
 Key fingerprint = 6AD8 485E 20B9 5C71 231C  0C32 15F3 ADCD ECFB 6239