On Thu, Oct 08, 2015 at 12:04:34AM +0000, Joi L. Ellis wrote:

> [snip]
>

> > Which is sort of what I did Joi.
> >
> > amrecover bothers me because that is no apparent way to strip the leading
> > part of the path from what you want to recover, and from the messages it
> > presents, if you don't just give up and use a scratch directory, then move
> > what it recovers, I am sure not about to let it destroy everything in my
> > home dir just to recover the linuxcnc subdir.  It may be capable of doing
> > that, but the "are you sure" messages just warn that the /home/gene
> > directory will be nuked.
> >

> What backup method is your DLE using?  Gnutar strips the leading / off
> automatically when you extract from a tarball, so it won't just overwrite
> your real stuff automatically.  The only way it will overwrite original
> anything is if you're sitting in / when you run amrecover.

Joi,
In this case "/" is the "root" of the DLE, not the file system.  Gene's
DLE is of /home.  So if he were to recover his home directory "gene"
while sitting in the file system root, I think it would make "/gene"
as a new directory rather than overwriting "/home/gene".

jl
--
Jon H. LaBadie                 j...@jgcomp.com
 11226 South Shore Rd.          (703) 787-0688 (H)