On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 07:01:05PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:

> While we are on this subject, why, with a 10 day cycle, working over 30
> vtapes of nominally 3.2 GB per vtape, does amanda's planner absolutely
> refuse to use a level 2 or beyond?  It often promotes a level 2 to a
> level 0 when it has 6+ days left in its 10 day cycle.
>

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

and on the other side of the coin, is there any way to encourage the planner
to do more level 0 dumps in a given day?

I occasionally find, often after a kernel update/reboot, that amanda
thinks that a large number of DLE are 'new', and fairly quickly moves them up
to level 2. but then the planner leaves them at L2 for days or weeks, at the
same time using less than 1 TB of my 2.5 TB tape.

I know that I can force a level 0, but that has to be done on each DLE. it
seems like there should be a way to tell just amanda to use a larger
fraction of the tape, but I can't figure it out.

--
Ned Danieley (ned.danie...@duke.edu)
Department of Biomedical Engineering

http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2012-02-11/