Am 2018-01-03 um 22:08 schrieb Chris Miller:

I have some questions:

 1. Can I make my vtapes all 150GB, and then instruct Amanda to put one
    cycle (one level 0, and six level 1) on one vtape, meaning re-use a
    vtape multiple time in a backup cycle? I like this approach quite a
    bit, if it is possible. It "packages" one level 0 with all the
    attendant level 1 differentials and eliminates my strongest
    reservations about vtapes -- namely that I don't know where anything is.
 2. Failing that, should I make my vtapes 120GB, so I can fit a level 0
    backup on one vtape, but then will Amanda truncate level 1 backups,
    so that the vtapes storage requirement is NOT 120G, but more like 5GB?
 3. Alternatively, I could make my vtapes all 5GB and then Amanda will
    have to span fourteen vtapes for the level 0? This might be optimal
    use of storage, but it scares me with added complexity. I won't know
    where anything is, meaning I will have to have Amanda tools to
    unpack a backup, and in the case of a disaster, that may be really
    inconvenient.

I sure would like to have option 1, if I could...

I would say, go with option 2 if you want to avoid complexity.
The vtapes won't all use up the full defined size if the actual daily dump needs less space. So why not specify that a bit larger than the expected lev0/FULL-run and see how that works out?

AFAIK option 1 is not possible with current Amanda-strategies (at least not easily or without other complexities involved). But maybe I am wrong here ...