Am 23.08.22 um 23:16 schrieb Exuvo:
I use two separate backup configurations. One for weekly backups and one for yearly archival. The weekly i start from crontab and the archival one i start manually with "sudo -u amanda amdump archive". Each configuration has its own storage definition with tape names starting with R or A ( ^A[0-9]{5}$ ) respectively. They share holding disk but i always flush it so it is only used for slow DLEs to avoid the drive starting and stopping a lot.

Is that what you are trying to do or did i read incorrectly?

This is what I *had* before.

What I try now is having both configs in one single amanda.conf.

So I use two storage definition blocks, two tape pools, etc ... all in one amanda.conf.

My goal is to avoid reading/compressing/encrypting the whole data twice every week or so.

In the specific case I want to avoid a ~26 hour amdump run filling 4 tapes every weekend: it has to do ALL the dumping of ALL the DLEs again that already happened during the week sometimes. And even if I decide to let it do fresh FULLs on the weekend, I would prefer to all have it in ONE single configuration.

(some parts of) the archive tapes should be generated/prepared while doing the normal daily backups.

For 2 sites that looks good already: there I use physical and virtual tapes as the 2 storages. Amanda is able to write to both storages in parallel so I get tapes in both storages filled in every run (and the vtapes collect only the FULLs).

At one site it's more complicated because the 2 storages basically only point to separate (groups of) slots in one physical tape changer. So I can't write to both storages in parallel: only one tape drive.

So I try to come up with a schedule like:

* run the config with "-o storage=daily" every Mon-Fr do incrementals and fulls mixed to match the "daily" policy

* let that storage-config keep (some) fulls in the holding disks: they can be flushed by the storage-config "archive" on the weekend

* weekends: "-o storage=archive": let the config clean up the holding disk, plus let it do any missing fulls in the weekend runs (DLEs which are too big etc)

I am sure amanda is capable of doing that, and I get closer to getting it right with every run now.

The docs don't tell us much about the possibilities with that newer config syntax, to me it seems that all this had been added before the change of ownership and before development of the Community Edition stalled.

Back then Jean-Louis Martineau gave some tips on how to use that (in some ml-threads) but I never found some real documentation or examples.

OK, the sections and parameters are documented in the man-pages, but there is no HOWTO, afaik.