10a. String s = `abc`;
10b. String s = \u0060abc`;

As it stands both are legal. This decision has been mostly taken away from us
because the lookahead of the previous token has “consumed" the character. There
is little hope of finding out which form the backtick was derived. Not
technically true in javac since we can sift back through the input buffer.
Other tools may differ.  I’m going to ignore this remark in a second.

Choice: do we turn off escape processing on the first open backtick or the last
open backtick? It doesn’t really matter as long as we do it before consuming
the first non-backtick character.

Choice: do we turn on escape processing on the first close backtick or the last
close backtick? It doesn’t matter as long as we do it before consuming the next
non-backtick character. If we have an aborted close sequence (too few or too
many backticks) then we have to turn it off again.

What about embedding \u0060 in a raw string?  If we treat them the same as
backtick then the user is limited in the ways to express untranslated escapes.
Note: We can always convert manually in the scanner by looking ahead for ‘\’,
‘u’, ‘0’, ‘0’, ‘6’, ‘0’.

That all said, I think we should not allow \u0060 to represent a backtick in a
raw string literal, ever. It complicates things unnecessarily and limits what
the user can embed in the raw string.

So, change the scanner to

A) Peek back to make sure the first open backtick was exactly a backtick.
B) Turn off Unicode escapes immediately so that only backtick characters can be
part of the delimiter.
C) Turn on Unicode escapes only after a valid closing delimiter is encountered.

Based on this all your examples are illegal.

— Jim