On 9/30/23 03:17, Mark Roth wrote:
Hello weekend AmForth'ers

So, while waiting to see what will happen with the repo I have continued to
play with a git version for my own use. I have reworked the makefile and
made some changes to the repo structure to accommodate for the new avra
code (which is still only a placeholder until I get that repository in
properly). I think that the new makefile should make it very easy to get
started and there is a bit of a long winded readme to explain anything that
has changed. If anyone wants to take a look and give feedback that would be
great.

https://github.com/CableGuy67/AmForth

I took a quick look at the makefile and related fines in the appl/template directory, which I believe is what you're referring to here. I have two minor suggestions:

1. How about renaming "template.asm" as "app.asm" and making the
   corresponding changes to the makefile? I think this would make a
   workflow of copying the template directory to one named for a new
   application without updating names within the template directory
   very natural. I would feel weird leaving around a file called
   "template.asm" because that doesn't communicate well the purpose of
   the file in the ultimate project. But "app.asm" seems like it could
   usually fit. Having a consistent name like this could also simplify
   documentation.
2. This is really just a template for an avr8 project, right? Perhaps
   the directory containing this sub-tree should be named
   "avr8-template" instead of "template"? It seems to me that really
   all the directories under "/appl" are currently templates for
   different targets? Is that right?

Note that I haven't tried anything here, these all come from code inspection and may be due to misunderstandings on my part.

Cheers!  Keith