On Wed, Oct 4, 2023 at 2:37 PM Tristan Williams wrote:

> Hello Mark,
>
> I took a local clone of your repo and the new template built for an uno
> without issue. Thank you.
>
> Are you open to a pull request?

Of course. I do believe that last night I fixed the last of the little bits
that were giving me trouble after trying to take care of the zero byte
padding issues. For some odd reason one of them played havoc with Evalue in
so that it just didn't work. It was in the word list, but was just hanging.
That is fine now as far as I can tell. I tested quite a bit with my word
list that is pretty extensive.

> Seeing that we are dealing with makefiles, it seemed a good time to
> address prebuilt binaries. I have blended/amended your template with
> the existing makefile in appl/arduino to output hex files for the m328
> based UNO and the 2561 based mega.

I agree. Any of the projects in appl should be able to be built and/or have
a prebuilt hex in them. Since today was the first day I was able to stop
looking at the repo and look at my own project to clean up the next thing I
did want to do is to cull and clean those. I have an uno or three and a
mega from an old disassembled  3D printer around here so I can try those
next. I also have a few other atmegas to work with from various interests
over the years. I need to look and see if any of them (atmega8, 16 etc) are
even able to take AmForth. So yes, any info put up at the repo will most
certainly be seen and considered by me for now unless something else
happens to move that focus.

> Separately, I have written a script to produce a simple html build
> specific reference-card that lists the words built into the respective
> pre-built hex files. It searches the .lst file produced by the
> assembler (in this case avra) for the assembler source files used and
> then searches them for the documentation. This has been discussed [1]
> on the mailing list before. However, if there are going to be prebuilt
> hex files in the repo, then a reference-card for those builds will be
> helpful for the person trying them out. It is not intended to be a
> substitute for the reference-card for AmForth as a whole.
>
> I have put up the html here as an idea.
>
> https://www.mostlymostly.uk/amforthdocs/prebuilt.html
>
> The page uses material from the existing site. It is not plumbed
> into the rst source (but it could be).

This looks great. A few times after you put up the link I accidentally
ended up there and wondered why the SF site was so snappy. I see you have
kept up with the refcard thing over the years from when we played around
with it. It's done with python I'm guessing. I really like your idea of
making them from the .lst files. It's something I've always thought would
be a great addition inside of the project directories if someone so
desired.

> Best wishes,
> Tristan
>
> [1] https://sourceforge.net/p/amforth/mailman/message/37112236/

All the best to you as well. It feels good to be polishing up the tools to
polish up the Forth that was starting to bit rot in my brain.
Mark