On Sat, Sep 30, 2023 at 9:46 PM Keith Amidon wrote:

> On 9/30/23 03:17, Mark Roth wrote:
> > Hello weekend AmForth'ers
> >
> > So, while waiting to see what will happen with the repo I have continued
> > play with a git version for my own use. I have reworked the makefile and
> > made some changes to the repo structure to accommodate for the new avra
> > code (which is still only a placeholder until I get that repository in
> > properly). I think that the new makefile should make it very easy to get
> > started and there is a bit of a long winded readme to explain anything
> that
> > has changed. If anyone wants to take a look and give feedback that would
> be
> > great.
> >
> > https://github.com/CableGuy67/AmForth
>
> I took a quick look at the makefile and related fines in the
> appl/template directory, which I believe is what you're referring to
> here. I have two minor suggestions:
>
>  1. How about renaming "template.asm" as "app.asm" and making the
>     corresponding changes to the makefile? I think this would make a
>     workflow of copying the template directory to one named for a new
>     application without updating names within the template directory
>     very natural. I would feel weird leaving around a file called
>     "template.asm" because that doesn't communicate well the purpose of
>     the file in the ultimate project. But "app.asm" seems like it could
>     usually fit. Having a consistent name like this could also simplify
>     documentation.

Yeah, that does sound like a good idea. I like the way it implies intent.

>  2. This is really just a template for an avr8 project, right? Perhaps
>     the directory containing this sub-tree should be named
>     "avr8-template" instead of "template"? It seems to me that really
>     all the directories under "/appl" are currently templates for
>     different targets? Is that right?
>
> Note that I haven't tried anything here, these all come from code
> inspection and may be due to misunderstandings on my part.
>
> Cheers!  Keith

You're not wrong in that. Since I only use the avr-8 chips I only recently
even looked into those other appl directories. It seems that it just sort
of grew like mushrooms (appl that is) and never had any cohesiveness.
Indicating that it is the appl template for avr8 is a no brainer. I have to
wonder if the makefile at one point in time was supposed to be more
inclusive with the other platforms but just never got there.

Thanks for the suggestions. Different eyes and all.

All the best,
Mark