Bernie,

I am NOT one whom believes that a 3Kc bandwidth is adequate.

The reality is that AM is DSB, Double SideBand, with carrier.  So by
definition, it MUST occupy more than 6Kc.  You have a sideband of audio
above the carrier, the carrier, and then the sideband below the carrier.

I guess I missed where it was stated that AM is only 3Kc.

I know for certain that My Beasts definitely are broader.  I just keep
from running at whatever it "would" develop if I set it up by the
military manual and let her rip!

I definitely HATE that nasal pinched audio!

Bob - N0DGN

On 3/9/2010 7:44 PM, bcarl...@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> Bravo Bernie - again, GREAT comments!
>
> --
>
> Best regards - Bry Carling, AF4K
>

> ---- Bernie Doran<qedconsulta...@embarqmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> reading these comments about bandwidth suggests to me that there are more
>> than a few the believe under 3 kc bandwidth is fine for AM as it conserves
>> space.  if so why does one even operate AM? why not use only ssb, psk or cw?
>> better yet do not operate at all, look at the space saved then!!! I thought
>> most operated AM because they like the quality of the audio produced. one
>> thing the SDR-Iq that I acquired a few months ago does rather well is show
>> the spectrum,   on the local BC stations they seem to limit sharply at a
>> total 15 kc. I have watched the male voice spectrum and with the exception
>> of the S,F and C sounds nearly all is below 5 kc each side. narrowing to 3
>> kc with below 300 cutoff turns those same voices into something that is not
>> really pleasant to listen too.  I have noticed the same effect on a few that
>> are trying AM with a rice box that uses only 300 to about 3kc.  the same
>> thing can be observed with the ESSB guys on the bottom of 80, they sound
>> much better, but still a little strange.
>>
>> again, this is good reason to operate down low on 80 where there is usually
>> plenty of room. if there are contests it might be best to simply avoid
>> operating, not only to give the contesters a band, but to simply avoid the
>> QRM created by others.  However,  there is so much racket no one would
>> notice if an AM station was 30 kc wide during the contests.
>>
>>   RE  the comments about power, the antenna is far above every thing else,
>> listen to what the strong stations are using, rarely does an out of the box
>> multiband antenna come in at the top of the heap.  Dipole, open wire feeders
>> from a good antenna matching device (balanced link coupled) is the simplest
>> way to go with a multiband  operation. The always perform well.    the
>> comments about " use only the " necessary power and/or bandwidth"  I believe
>> that to mean full quieting and the audio quality of a person sitting the
>> same room with me. It does not mean if I am on a particular freq for an hour
>> or so and someone decided to operate 1.5 kc away that it is my fault for
>> causing QRM to them.  some of these comments sound similar to those I have
>> seen where it is believed that we are supposed to be on certain freq (
>> channels) .  At least there has been a lot of chatter on this topic.  that
>> is good. 73 Bernie

|               AM Amateur Radio Operator    NØDGN                 |
|               http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman/                 |