That is precisely WHY I posted my earlier message today!  Subject:
Signal Bandwidth.

To lay out what the ENTIRE AM signal is composed of, and by words,
describe what it will/would look like, whether you laid it out on a
graph with stubby pencil, or were to look at it with a station monitor
scope.

I use a Kenwood Station Monitor, SM-220, with the BP-8 Panadaptor option.

I indeed SEE the signal.

I am VERY aware of what the Bandplan looks like, since I downloaded it
and certainly have read it.

I am concerned where the chips are going to fall.

I am also aware of the difference between IARU and the ITU.

Bob - N0DGN

On 3/10/2010 9:06 PM, sbjohns...@aol.com wrote:
> The alarming confusion expressed right here on the AMRADIO mailing list
> regarding the occupied bandwidth of a DSB AM signal makes my point
> beautifully.  Most hams know what mode they are running, but few really
> know the bandwidth of their signnal.
>
> Very few hams have the knowledge, skills, or test equipment to measure
> occupied bandwidth anyway, so its use in a bandplan is a meaningless
> standard.  The common practice of tuning a communications receiver
> across a signal is NOT how to measure occupied bandwidth and will
> produce misleading results.
>
> Again, let me emphasize:  the present IARU Region 2 bandplan's
> bandwidth limitation of 2700 Hz refers to the amount of space used by
> the signal on the band, not the range of audio used to modulate the
> transmitter.  Most DSB AM signals are going to use at least 6 kHz of
> spectrum space - most more.
>

> Steve WD8DAS
>
> sbjohns...@aol.com
> http://www.wd8das.net/
> Radio is your best entertainment value.

|               AM Amateur Radio Operator    NØDGN                 |
|               http://home.comcast.net/~rbethman/                 |