Hey Mark,

good points as always -

> There are a multitude of reasons why an existing JAR may not work on Android:
>
> -- It was compiled with Java 1.4.2 or a non-Sun/Oracle Java compiler
> -- It assumes certain classes exist (from, say, JavaSE) that do not
> ship with Android
> -- It uses JNI (and therefore needs to be adjusted to work with the NDK)
> -- It assumes certain platform binary programs exist, or exist at
> certain paths, which may not be the case on Android
> -- and so on

Exactly - the jars I am importing are from Sun's famous JXTA-JXSE
project
that was compiled with Sun's Java 1.5+ but although it does not use
JNI
I have a feeling that it assumes certain classes exist ... I noticed
the owners
of the PeerDroid project did manage to compile the J2ME-CDC version
of
JXTA-JXME under the Android platform. However, what was curious there
is that they also included external jars in their compilations
(bcprov-1.4 etc.)
that I am also try to include - I will see if I can find how they got
away with
that.

But before I can get to the bottom of this one my first issue is what
you are
describing below ...

> Step #1: Put the JAR in libs/
I did
> Step #2: If using Eclipse, add it to your build path
I did
> Step #3: Code to the JAR's API and build your APK
I did

Even for the case of the jars that are Android-friendly they don't get
included
in the apk. The libs dir is either in the src dir or the top level
dir. Once I move
it in the assets dir I can see it being wrapped inside the apk. So
before attempt
to compile the code from above I will see if I can figure this one
out.

Thanks for the pointers though - they will help