Then again, now that I have seen your flickr pictures, I see you
always have the same 0 angle. So my proposed explanation is not quite
on point. But I do still believe this is an artifact of emulation
rather than a bug, and for reasons similar to what I described. So try
varying the vertical spacing and see how that affects the spurious
thickening.