19.09.2010 18:47, Michael A. пишет:
In any case, I did not say that 4.5 necessarily prohibits this
activity - I said that you risk being slapped with 4.5. What a lawyer
thinks the clause means is rather irrelevant, because if Google
decides that this sort of activity violates 4.5, then it violates 4.5
(see 7.2 which specifically says that determining violations of the
TOS are done at Google's sole discretion).

Seeing as how I have yet to read of any app being taken off the market
(or even warned) for bypassing the payment processor, I don't think
this would actually become a problem, but I don't see the point in
taking the risk just for a few extra dollars.

Having terms of use is one thing, enforcing them is quite another.

I think it would take a pretty special application that violated the TOS for Google to actually notice and take action. Perhaps an app that made a lot of money bypassing Android Market, or an app that had really high visibility, or perhaps both.

There are many excellent freemium/donation strategies one can use. If
you're outside the "magic 12" (or is it 11) countries, though, I think
you are pretty much screwed for reasonable options, though.
+1 to that. Especially ironic given that Google Checkout works in more counties.

--
Kostya Vasilyev -- WiFi Manager + pretty widget -- http://kmansoft.wordpress.com