On 9/18/10 12:59 , Brad Gies wrote:

Actually, I am very impressed with the response, and I hope you thanked them. It would be good to encourage the Market people to respond to this kind of stuff :).

For sure I personally thank people at Google working on the issue and bugs happen, so not a big problem in general. But I've to say I'm not impressed with the timing of the response, since it appears they started responding with much delay, when a lot of people here got upset and puzzled about what was happening. Since the bug has been confirmed, and it's a blatant bug (I mean, it might be difficult to find a fix and apply it, but I'd expect that some consistency check at Google should raise the warning early, especially then the first people start to complain), I hope that anything similar in future will be posted to an official Google blog before so many people start scratching their heads for months. I mean: many other kind of bugs are annoying, but not as annoying as this one, since it has to do with the people's feedback about your app. The feedback channel with users is already broken enough, as it has been said many times, and when you put a big effort in providing yourself the information, the feedback channels, you try to fix bugs and add features that people are asking for, and you see what's supposed to be the most important metric decreasing (*), well, you might be tempted to give up (especially if you're on a free project).

(*) Downloads are not the most important thing for me. They are somewhat a measure of how you good are in making people aware of you, while the active install ratio is the measure of how much people like your stuff. In this situation, with downloads steadily increasing and active ratio steadily decreasing, I've been thinking for a long time that I was relatively good in inform people of my product, but I was describing it a cut above its real value. Sort of "good ad, bad implementation". Fortunately, it *could* not be that way.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect, Project Manager
Tidalwave s.a.s. - "We make Java work. Everywhere."