Thanks for the replies.  It's interesting to see how different devs are
handling this.

I do think it's important to note that if you follow approach #1, users that
purchased your app will still have access to it on the tablet, it just won't
be tailored to that device's experience.  I'm not sure that asking them to
pay for the additional work you put into a tablet version is a bad thing.
 It works that way on the iPad, with no issues.

I'm leaning more towards option #2, but I'm a little worried about managing
the different views in a single application.

--
Chris Stewart
http://chriswstewart.com