The reason this isn't in 1.0 is because we didn't want to ship a half-
baked API. We have a solution coming soon in the form of a flexible
base layer that supports push and pull models. For example, we have
built an InputStream object on top of it that we will offer as sample
code.

In the future, this development will be taking place in the open
source repo so we can have a real-time dialog about the code as it is
developed. In the meantime, we are working hard to get the code that
has been in development since we forked the 1.0 branch moved into the
open source repo as soon as possible.