Ah. I'd guess, from what you're telling me, that the user's phone has the
wrong time, the wrong local time zone, and the correct local time display.
I'm not sure how we'd figure that out for sure....

Anyway, your idea of an override preference is probably the best thing you
could do in your software (if it's worth it).

But might it be better to tell the user that he can set the timezone to use
in Google Calendar's web interface?

Google Calendar stores actual times (rather than formatted times). If you
set the time to use in the web interface, you can even set an event to start
in one time zone and end in another!

Of course, it's possible he's using some broken third-party software to
access his Google Calendar -- but if he's using the standard app, or he uses
the web interface correctly, it should work properly, and he shouldn't need
to lie to his phone.