Thanks for the suggestions.  I had the user try taking out the battery
but it didn't help (I HAD previously had him reboot his phone which
didn't work either).  I am beginning to think that there is something
screwed up with the permissions as you suggest.  I have actually had a
similar problem on my HTC Hero phone running 2.1 (he is running 2.2).
It gets into a state where I can no longer install my app and it
clearly appears to be a permissions problem (I can't remember the
exact message, but it fails to install something complaining that the
folder doesn't exist).  I have had this happen a number of times and
it usually occurs when I have installed a debug signed apk, un-
installed and then tried to install a signed apk.  However my user has
only ever had properly signed apks.

Ultimately the only way I was able to get it to work again on my HERO
was to reset the entire phone to the factory settings (which deletes
everything), which is not something that my user is wanting to do.