I hired a programmer to write an app for me, a search engine, which is
free.  For the app to be any use at all, you must also install one or more
databases (also free) either from a separate web site (link provided) or
you download a PC application (also free, and from that same web site) and
create your own databases to search.  The numbers of downloads reported
seem to say that only about 10% of them are kept, the others deleted -
possibly because they found the app alone does nothing.  If I understand
the numbers correctly, that is. Is there any way I could include a sample
database on the App Store web site, attached to my app page somehow, such
that any downloaders get at least ONE database making the app useful right
away ?  It could be as small as <400kb.  I would name the database
something to indicate the date/contents, to help them understand they can
get more, they just have to read the instructions.  The app has a Settings
button where the user can specify where the databases are located.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

---
"Android Developers" group.