That message would be the perfect opportunity to do GOOD by removing the
numbers and saying "please update your applications with the phone number
you wish shown, if any."

I don't think it is unreasonable to say that even if it is a non-majority of
developers affected, releasing that much personal information - effectively
with no warning - is bad, and correcting it with nothing more than a minor
inconvenience would be good. I agree with the developers who feel "we won't
distribute" should also mean "or sucker you into distributing.."

But we're always on different sides of these things so .. :)