I must say I am surprised no one at google thinks it's important to
provide a better way of including a pre-populated database into a
package. I've spent 10 hours trying to get a 3.5MB database working
with my APK and have given up. This is what I tried, and would
appreciate if someone has a solution:

1. Included the db as an asset
2. Copied it to the SDCard at startup
3. The above fails with a "uncompress_data_max" when it's being pulled
out of the Assets directory

I don't want to upload the file anywhere as I can't deal with all the
extra bandwidth used. How can I include the file in the package and
then somehow copy it elsewhere (considering it's more than 1MB in
size)?

Many thanks!