There are lots of issues with implementing push technology, here are
just a few:

You are looking at the application layer, you need to be concerned
about the transport layer(s).

How does your server know the address (IP or other) of the phone?  It
gets assigned by DHCP and whenever the connection is broken/dropped
for any reason it can be given a different IP address by the
telecommunications provider.

If you are connecting from the phone to the server to when the phone's
IP address changes you may as well keep the channel open and pull the
data down.

With a WiFi connection the phone is probably on the inside of a NAT
router so again making an incoming connection to the phone is not
going to work.

So many problems, you are probably best just sending an SMS message
containing a url to your web server and getting the end-user to click
on it.

--
RichardC