On Nov 17, 12:01 am, strazzere <str...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's hard to get into all the dynamics of it, but I'll gladly have a
> conversation offline with you if you'd like to have one. I'll try to
> touch briefly upon most of this though.
>
> Yes - I agreed the protection Google has implemented does not suffice
> for now. One would have hoped it could have been resigned to run
> specifically on that phone, or some type of protection like that.
> Instead we have a "forward-locked" application that essentially
> doubles in size since it has a zip file in /data/apps and it's actual
> apk in /data/app-private which is just a simple linux permission based
> protection.
>
> I agree with nEx on this one, that your asking a bit much for some
> applications to be granted internet permission, more importantly, your
> now asking for someone to grant READ_PHONE_STATE. This is something
> I've been more protective of over the internet permission. Your no
> longer using the ANDROID_ID and now using an IMEI. Since the IMEI is
> specific to the phone, why not use the ANDROID_ID? It is also linked
> to that phone and does not require any addition permissions... From
> the other side of things, it is also spoofable - so your not risking /
> more/ than you would by using the IMEI.

IMEI code gives justice possibility to find phone owner and punish
him. Other IDs can not help in that.
In many countries exists IMEI code database created by cellular
operators, and you can ask for phone place detection and switching
off, of course if you have proper papers in hands. I think "pirate"
should now that if he steal and rich some kind of our pations limit,
then we can punish him or at least force him to buy all applications
and compencate sales losts.

> You've touched on a few products and mentioned that they are all
> activation required. I completely agree that this is the activation
> method people should be taking, but you must also know -- all the
> products you've listed are easily available for a pirate... So why do
> people buy them then? Activation often /comes/ with something.
> Continued program update, patches, data updates, incentives to things,
> SUPPORT, plug-ins, etc. That's why these things can sell. Your always
> going to have the kiddies who download things for the sake of, I have
> this and I got it for free, always. Your always going to have people
> who can get it to them, because you've developed some crazy
> protection, and it's a game for them to break it. What needs to be
> done is put up some protection, and make your product better. If you
> spending more time on developing your protection system than your next
> feature, you need to re-evaluate your business plan. Protection
> schemes will probably add no business value compared to the next
> cutting edge feature...

I'm easy on piracy. My idea: You have to try product for some time and
only after that decide do you want it or not. But in most cases It's
easy to contact product developer and ask about trial version. It's a
common practice to give people trial for trying the product.

> I'd like to just quickly rebase in saying, I'm not against your scheme
> - I just don't see how you plan to make this work. If you open up your
> blacklisting, it just seems like it will be too easy to circumvent and
> even easier to abuse. Circumvention isn't too much of an issue, but
> the abuse is just going to land you in problems with good customers.
> Yes, they could always email you and defend their IMEI. Though unless
> you've developed a /must have/ app that no one else has, why would a
> customer put up with having to defend themselves - you should always
> want to give customers a path a least resistance :)

In my case, I even reduce price to stimulate pirates to buy product
after they install it. I give them a chance to recover own "good
face".