On Mar 18, 11:49 am, Bob Kerns <r...@acm.org> wrote:
> OK, it seems there's several things going on here.
>
> From your URL, it looks like you can download a >>copy of<< a
> sqllitedatabasefile.
>
> If this is just static content, that you're treating as a document --
> then you don't need any of what I've been talking about so far. At
> this level, you have a file. You just copy it locally, perhaps to your
> SD card, and then access it using Android's built-in sqllite
> interfaces.
>
> You CANNOT access directly over the network this way. Sqllite depends
> on being able to manage concurrency, and update individual pages
> within thedatabasefile. It cannot do these things over an HTTP
> connection -- and shouldn't try to do it over any other kind of
> network connection, either.

So SQlite can't use over networks for accessing database...
I dont want to save this database file into my local folder..i want to
change the contents in the file by online..

> But once you have copied it to a local file, Android's sqllite should
> be able to work on it directly. If you make changes, you can save it
> over the network, treating it like any other docuument.

This is not a good idea to use as a document..

> But that's not really using it as adatabasein the usual sense of
> live shared data. It's a good approach, however, for static data, such
> as historical records. For example, baseball statistics for a specific
> year.
>
> On the other hand, if you want to be able to access the data
> simultaneously from multiple applications, and at least one process
> somewhere is making changes, then you DO need a shareddatabase, and
> you DO want to expose it as a web service. Examples would be contacts
> databases, current sales figures, stock price tickers, etc.

How to expose any database as a webservice??
If u have any example code pls provide me..because im new to android
as well as database concepts..
Thats y i dont have clear idea on this..

> How I'd start, is to identify each logical kind of object, and define
> URL's to refer to each of them, and to each collection of them. These
> can be explicit entities in yourdatabase, or they can be the results
> of queries, where the query is encoded in the URL.
>
> Then I'd identify the data content of these, and write code to encode
> each entity into this format. I'd pick either JSON or XML as a base
> for my data format, just because they're readily available on most
> platforms.

So for communicating database(On remote server)  from our application
it is compulsory to write a driver like odbc???