Disconnect, I don't think the market agreement is clear on this.

It is clear that if you charge for apps, the payment has to go through
the Market processor.

I'm talking about something different. In this scenario, the app
doesn't change and all functionality is still available to all users.
However, users can purchase virtual goods for use in the game (which
may also be attainable without purchase).

The reason I am asking is not to skirt the rules without being caught.
Just the opposite, I'm seeking clarification up front to avoid
misunderstanding. That is why I'm looking for Google's input on how to
proceed. This has got to be a very common issue. And clearing this up
would help a lot of developers.

I believe that selling virtual goods that can be used in an online
game app does not violate the agreement. I just want to get Google's
take.