The fundamental issue is that there are too many instructions per
event being executed.  There is no way around it other than optimizing
the event handling code in KeyInputQueue.  No amount of waiting or
sleeping will fix that because those events must run through that code
and that code appears to be very slow.  It surprises me because it's
truly performance critical code and this issue has been known since
1.1/1.5 and it still doesn't appear to be fixed in master.  I'm
looking at it now and the author(s) didn't even follow Android's best
optimization practices.  Simple things like declaring virtuals with
local variables aren't done.

For a moment today I was considering taking the input stack (EventHub,
KeyInputQueue and InputDevice) and hacking it into my own input stack
which reads off the event devices much more efficiently but I can't
find any way to stop the system stack from running and consuming CPU,
so that hack is out (and probably good because I really didn't want to
go there - waste of time and probably wouldn't work right anyway).

In my activity:
public boolean onTouchEvent(MotionEvent e) {
  return false;
}

And system_server still consumes about 36% of the CPU while moving my
finger around.  That proves there is nothing a developer can do to
work around this.  I think I'll take this issue to the platform group
now and try to file more specific bugs.