Thanks for all the input guys--

Mark, it is indeed very strange that my Activity's onCreate is not
being called here. And the reason I have chosen not to use a database
or flat file is because the lifetime of this data is a maximum of 20
minutes before my app rules it outdated and fetches new data from the
server. Didn't really see the point in writing data with such a short
shelf life to a more permanent data store. If my app is destroyed and
relaunched within this 20 minute period, I have no problem with doing
a fresh API fetch (why not? the more frequently [while remaining un-
invasive] I can update the data, the better)... I will throw

Christopher, nope not overring onNewIntent--sounds like some weird
behavior you've run into there...

Is it possible that a memory leak could possibly be the cause of this
behavior? I had some leaks previously but went through all my code a
couple weeks ago and believe I have removed them all but I haven't
completely confirmed this [although my app hasn't hit any OutOfMemory
errors since then]. I don't see why a memory leak would be removing
data though, normally they causes data to pile up...

I have found one issue in my code that may resolve this.. I
implemented a potential fix but have not had a chance to test on my
device yet. Will post back. In the meanwhile, anyone else with
thoughts on this matter, please share :)

Nick